Gen 3:13-24 NHEBJE Jehovah God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
(14) Jehovah God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock, and above every animal of the field. On your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.
(15) I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring. He will bruise your head, and you will bruise his heel.”
(16) To the woman he said, “I will greatly multiply your pain in childbirth. In pain you will bring forth children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”
(17) To Adam he said, “Because you have listened to your wife’s voice, and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground for your sake. In toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. (18) Thorns also and thistles will it bring forth to you; and you will eat the herb of the field. (19) By the sweat of your face will you eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”
(20) The man called his wife Eve, because she was the mother of all living. (21) Jehovah God made coats of skins for Adam and for his wife, and clothed them.
(22) Jehovah God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil. Now, lest he put forth his hand, and also take of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever…” (23) Therefore Jehovah God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. (24) So he drove out the man; and he placed Cherubs at the east of the garden of Eden, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
- Original sin, the concept that man is born in a condition of sinfulness and must await redemption – True or False? (eagleman6788.wordpress.com)
Eastern Orthodox tradition holds that the sword placed at the entrance to Paradise to prevent humankind from returning to the Garden was removed once Jesus was born.
- Reflections on Genesis 3:15 (gentlereformation.com)
In one short statement the underlying theme and meaning of history is laid bare. Whatever one says about the history of mankind, therefore, whether they’re looking at the specks of some seemingly insignificant incident, or the grand movements of a mighty nation, if this overarching perspective is fundamentally absent from their thinking, the task of making sense of human experience, whether it be the past or the present or the future, will inevitably fail to reflect the deep currents of reality. As a result, the historian’s work of collating data into a meaningful whole will inevitably run astray.
The relationship between these two kingdoms will be marked with hostility. As God put it, “I will put enmity between you and the woman.”
This enmity isn’t of a casual sort, as if the citizens of each kingdom are at a ballgame rooting for a different team. The antipathy and opposition will be nothing less than absolute, resulting in the shedding of blood and even the taking of life. It is warlike hostility (Rev 11:7, 12:7, 13:7, 19:11-19). It should be thought of in terms of swords and shields, not empty threats or an unwillingness to attend the same social event.
- Saturday, 14 February 2015 : 5th Week of Ordinary Time, Memorial of St. Cyril, Monk and St. Methodius, Bishop, Patron Saints of Europe (First Reading) (petercanisiusmichaeldavidkang.com)
I will make you enemies, you and the woman, your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head and you will strike his heel.
- An offering for sin (dailymedit.com)
In the Garden of Eden, the serpent, the devil, said all the right things to Eve, presenting himself as a good friends, who was only looking out for her. But it was coming from a “heart” full of poisonous venom. Jesus refused to commit himself to man because he knows what was in man (John 2:24-25).
So if God wants to really change man, giving him a new set of rules and regulation will not do, it is changing his nature, the answer is a new creature (2Corinthians 5:17). And in Jesus old things have passed away and all things become new and that starts with who we are on the inside. Paul said that none by following the law will gain the favour of God because God still looks at the heart and not at appearance.
A sacrifice is dead and Paul wrote that we have died with Christ nevertheless we live (Galatians 2:20). We have died to sin and the passion of the flesh and alive to righteousness. By faith, we identify with Christ in his death and in his resurrection life.
- Humble beginnings: a rib and an apple (annabelfrage.wordpress.com)
The serpent undulated in happy figures of eight, weaving itself round her legs, up her legs, round her waist, and it was a very nice serpent, despite its legs, not at all cold and slimy, but warm and smooth to the touch. Gently, it urged Eve closer and closer to the tree, whispering that once she’d eaten, she would know as much as God, and why should a dude with a lot of hair and a matching beard call all the shots, huh?
“Why not a pretty lady like you instead?” it hissed, and Eve definitely thought it was onto something here. Besides, she really, really wanted to know what Adam dreamed about each night. She rached for the closest apple. It fell, ripe and round, into her hand.
“Yummy, yummy,” the serpent said, caressing her hips with his coils “And you know what they say, don’t you? An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
“Never mind. Once you’ve eaten it, you’ll get to know everything about doctors.” It snickered.”Good one,” it said to itself, attempting a high-five with its stunted little forelegs.
“You’re the woman, soon enough you’ll be the seductress that tempts Adam to taste. Cherchez la femme, as the French say.”
Eve didn’t understand. But she did know it was right; she would tempt Adam, she had to, making them both equally guilty in the eyes of God.
- Choose Positivity (matheusyuhlung.wordpress.com)
Today, if you meet ten negative people and one Caleb or one Joshua, I urge you to listen to them instead – the voice of positivity; as it is said I can do all things through him who strengthens me.